Chancery Lane - Past Residents
Legal, Medical, Education
Surgeons, solicitors and school teachers have been based in Chancery Lane, Thrapston for many years.
The name probably arose because lawyers made it their Headquarters, but for many years it was also called Fair Lane because it led to the field where the annual fair was held (see map).
The Yorke family
Daniel Yorke, and his son William were prominent lawyers in Thrapston before the beginning of the 19th century and William owned a house and office in Chancery Lane. In 1806 he rented it to Caryer Sherard whose family had been solicitors in Oundle for generations.
The first mention of a surgeon in Chancery Lane is that of Charles Washington Montague (from whom the present house takes its name) who lived there in the early 19th century.
In 1851, William Haines, a general practitioner, member of the Royal College of Surgeons and Licentiate of the Society of Apothecaries lived at Montagu(e)house.
Joseph Bird was practicing medicine in Chancery Lane in 1891 and Emma Todd, a medical botanist, was his neighbour.
Ann Ashman, in 1841, had a young ladies boarding school in Chancery Lane with 12 boarders, and two assistants.
Annie Larter, in 1891, ran a ladies day school in Montagu(e) House, assisted by teachers of English, languages and music.
Copyright Thrapston Heritage. Website by CommunitySites