Thrapston 1870-72 - John Marius Wilson
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson described Thrapston like this:
Thrapston, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Northamptonshire.
The town stands on the river Nen, and on the Northampton and Peterborough railway, at the intersection of the line from Kettering to Huntingdon, 20 miles NE by N of Northampton.
- had a ruined Hermitage in the time of Henry VIII;
- comprises four streets, in the form of a cross;
- is a seat of petty sessions and County Courts; and
- a head post-office,
- three banking offices,
- a Railway Station with telegraph,
- a hotel,
- a Court-House,
- a Corn Exchange,
- a bridge,
- an ancient Parish Church partly rebuilt in 1841,
- a Baptist Chapel,
- National Schools,
- a girls’ educational endowment of £21 a year,
- a Workhouse,
- a weekly market on Saturday,
and three annual fairs.
The parish comprises:
- Area: 990 acres
- Population: 1,257
- Houses: 247
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough with value, £430 and has as its Patron, the Lord Chancellor.
The sub-district (including Raunds) contains:
- 14 parishes.
- Area: 27,387 acres
- Population: 7,459
- Houses,: 1,624
Copyright Thrapston Heritage. Website by CommunitySites