Woodford has been known by several names through the centuries:
11th, 12th & 14th Century Wodeford
13th century Wudeford
16th century Woodforde
The parish of Woodford comprises 2,264 acres of land.
The river Nene forms the eastern boundary of the parish and the village lies on the slope of the hill rising from the river along the by-road from Irthlingborough.
Some portions of the medieval rectory remain in a farm house immediately north of the church and include three buttresses and a late 13th century pointed doorway.
A two-story thatched cottage in the Old Town to the north-west of the church has a panel inscribed ‘F.B. 1687,’ and on the west side of the Green in the upper part of the village is a gabled house dated 1654.
The upper part of the village is known as New Town.
There were formerly brickworks near the village and in 1874 the large beds of ironstone in the parish were extensively worked.
The parish was inclosed by private Act of Parliament in 1768.
From: ‘Parishes: “Woodford”, A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 3 (1930),