Aldwincle - Names & Parishes
Aldwincle has been known by several names through the centuries:
11th century Aldvincle
15th century Aldwyncle, Audewinkle, Ardwinkle
The parish of Aldwinkle All Saints was united to that of Aldwinkle St. Peter by Order in Council of 29 November 1879.
The combined parishes contain 2,886 acres, the most of which is grassland, with a fair amount of wood around Lyveden.
The parishes are bounded on the east by the River Nene, and on the south by its tributary Harper’s Brook.
From the low land near these streams the ground rises towards the north-west, where it reaches a height of nearly 290 ft.
From: ‘Parishes: Aldwinkle All Saints’, A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 3 (1930)
Copyright Thrapston Heritage. Website by CommunitySites